Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kitchens- Hearth of the Modern Home

Recently I seemed to drop of the planet, and all you may have heard from me is a very quick “busy back soon.” I had decided to redo my kitchen, and all my research said “weekend project” and it LIED! I have been working full days all this week with a paintbrush in one hand, or a sander, or a screwdriver. Finally I’ll be putting the finishing touches on stage one tomorrow.

Most people know that the kitchen is the heart of the home, but what they don’t know is that it is the hearth as well. Historically the hearth was the center of the home, and most (or even all) of the homes food, warmth, even clean hot water, came from the hearth. Various festivals existed to light the hearth, add light to the hearth, or burn certain herbs or items. Often the hearth stayed lit constantly, and it was considered bad luck to let it go out. As humanity progressed the hearth changed, it got smaller, less important, then it often went away all together. But in modern homes the kitchen is the hearth. The same as a historic ceremony would exist to add new fire to your hearth today we use our stove more on certain holidays.

If you were to consider the busiest part of your house, or where the most conversation takes place chances are you think of the kitchen. The kitchen is where you make coffee or tea (and drink it to if it’s an eat in) when you have a friend over to chat. The kitchen is where you make birthday cakes, special dinners, Christmas cookies. It’s where you feed your children, where you go for a late night snack, and where you tend to keep important papers and calendars.

And because it is so important it’s important to love it, and to really make it yours. So, stayed tuned for a Kitchen Series- How to Revamp your Kitchen for UNDER $1000. That’s right, floor to ceiling, wall to wall, under $1000. The series will take place over several months, and will be done in 5 parts. I’ll discuss ways to save up the money, fit it into your budget, and discuss tips and techniques I learn while redoing my own kitchen.

I’d love to hear what you love  or loath about your own kitchen in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm going to be tackling my kitchen also, so I'm looking forward to all your frugal tips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...